If you had a chance to save a life would you?

DKMS Blood Drives JUN 2017On June 26th, you can help a blood cancer patient by registering as a potential stem cell donor. If you are between the ages of 18 to 55, it only takes a few minutes and the swab of a cheek to see if you could be a life-saving match to a patient in need! If you have already been “swabbed,” you are currently in the registry. Consider bringing a friend instead.  If you can’t make the drive you can also go to www.dkms.org and have a free kit swab kit sent to your home.  If you are over the age of 55, you can still help by stopping by and making a donation to DKMS. DKMS is the organization that puts on drives like this one around the country.    Spread the word and help us delete blood cancer!

There are currently more than 14,000 patients with blood cancers and blood diseases searching for stem cell donors. One of those 14.000 patients is a 33 year old Munster resident and mom of two beautiful children. Kate was diagnosed with an extremely rare form of leukemia called Near-Triploidy ALL. Doctors recommend a stem cell transplant for her best chance of long term survival. Typically 30% of people who are diagnosed with blood cancer are able to find a match through an immediate family member. However, Kate’s siblings are not a match. The other 70%, must rely on a complete stranger to donate. Unfortunately, for Kate and so many others, there is not a …match for her on the current donor registry.

DKMS Blood Drives JUN 2017“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead